
For the last few months, I have been dreaming of Paris without letting myself truly believe it was going to happen. There have been a million hurdles to overcome, from taking out loans to getting a tetanus shot (still bruised and it's been over a week!! really??), but today I allow myself to believe, for the first time, that I am ACTUALLY GOING TO PARIS!!! As of today, I have a loan which the study abroad people will honor, I have a visa appointment, and I have cute red water-proof ballet flats to wear in the rain. It's happening. I'm going to Europe. Hallelujah.
Now that I feel this blog actually has a purpose, I will post again. The clock above is from le Musée d'Orsay à Paris, which as I mentioned before, is one of my favorite places in Paris. Imagine my horror when I learned that this museum will be CLOSED the entire time I am in Paris! Luckily, much of the collection that usually resides in an old train station in Paris is currently on tour all over the world. I recently dragged my boyfriend, J, to the de Young museum in San Francisco, which is one of the lucky museums to be hosting some of the art collection. To say that the exhibit was crowded would be an understatement, but then again, we went on a Saturday afternoon, so I guess that's our fault.
The art was more than worth the B.O. and the price (I recommend making a reservation, as this will save you $20. We learned the hard way.). As J pointed out, the paintings appear to glow. They are enormous, with many stretching from floor to ceiling, and the subject matter consists of anything from countryside landscapes to portrayals of Greek myths to nudes. Our favorite was a painting of about 6 or 7 Impression-era artists, all gathered around an easel. The expressions on the faces of the men were remarkable; made me feel like I knew them. The exhibit finished with some paintings by Degas, which made the ballet dancer in me ecstatic.
I loved the chance to get a taste of Paris while still in America, loved the chance to share a small piece of Europe with J, and loved the opportunity to write a post that fits so well with the theme of my blog! Standing in a room in California, looking at centuries old paintings that usually hail from Europe? How much more liminal can it get??
No comments:
Post a Comment