Friday, October 8, 2010

Controversial Versailles

Versailles is a suburb of Paris most known for housing Louis XIV's outrageously expensive 17th century palace; hence, the word "Versailles" is virtually synonymous with the Palace of Versailles itself. To give you an idea of the granduer of the chateau, here is a re-enactment of a conversation I had while walking up to the gates of Versailles last Friday:

me: "I can't get a good photo of the gold on the gate!"
friend: "If it was real gold it would probably reflect the light better"
me: "...what?"
friend: "well because real gold would be shinier. or something."
other friend: "dude. That *IS* real gold."
first friend: "what are you talking about?"
me: "That's all real gold. All the yellow-y metal you see on everything? Real gold."
first friend: "what the &+%*!!!"


Anyway, Versailles is this gorgeous and over-the-top palace built by one of the more powerful French kings in history. Recently, the committee that runs Versailles nowadays acquired a new director. This new director decided to collaborate with a well-known Japanese artist, Murakami, to exhibit some modern Japanese art in Versailles. Voila:




This decision is highly controversial. Common responses to the exhibit include "modern art shouldn't belong in an older palace"; "the Japanese art was not well-integrated"; "Versailles is beautiful as it is and should not be tainted"; "the art drew too much attention away from the palace itself". All of which are valid arguments.

However, a better understanding of Versailles is necessary to fully understand the choice and placement of Murakami's art. Versailles was built outside of Paris because Louis XIV had vivid memories of growing up during a time when civil unrest made the city incredibly dangerous. As a boy, he survived an attempted kidnapping and/or possible murder; something like that stays with you the rest of your life. Additionally, Louis XIV felt it was necessary for him to fully assert that he was strong, wealthy, and fully in charge of his power. He is famously quoted as saying, "L"etat, c'est moi" (I am the state) and he called himself "The Sun King".

When it came to Versailles, Louis XIV pulled out all the stops in making sure his French nobles and any foreign visitors to the palace knew that he was a force to be reckoned with. When one first arrives at the palace, one enters a series of chambers that ultimately lead to the throne room. Each room has a theme based on a Roman god or goddess and each is sumptuously decorated with enormous paintings on the walls and ceillings, carvings in the stone walls and ceillings, and gilded everything. The choice to invoke Roman gods is interesting; Louis XIV was neither Roman nor Greek, but gods such as Apollo or Mars have long been associated with power in Western culture, so the Sun King used these associations to impress anyone who came knocking. After the procession of Roman-themed rooms, one has to traverse the impressive Hall of Mirrors to get to the throne. When the palace was built at the end of the 17th century, mirrors were incredibly expensive. Thus, a massive room full of mirrors was both visually pleasing and an ostentatious display of wealth. Louis's giant silver throne resting on a Persian rug probably seemed like an afterthought.

So what other momentous events took place in Versailles? A little more than a hundred years after Versailles was built, the French people rose up against the monarchy and were victorious. One famous morning, French citizens bribed the palace guards, broke into Versailles, and chased the queen Marie Antoinette and her children out of the beautiful rooms. The queen was imprisioned and then beheaded a few days after her husband. As France became a Republic in 1789, the royal palace of Versailles was only ever used for a little more than a century.

In *my* opinion, the placement of modern art in the palace does nothing to subtract from the glamour of Versailles. This palace was built as a (beautiful) prison for French nobles so that Louis XIV could keep an eye on them, it was so expensive that it beggared the nation, and it ultimately bore witness to one of the bloodiest revolutions in history. Versailles was controversial when it was built, was controversial and highly detested by the people of France while it was used for it's original purpose, and remains controversial today.

I earlier alluded to the fact that the placement of Murakami's art within the palace is important. I will elaborate. For instance, in the room devoted to Venus, Murakami displays sculptures revolving around the theme of love, he has floral statues placed in view of the gardens of Versailles, and as herald to the hall of mirrors, he displays a risque female waitress gesturing in welcome. In effect, this figure sends the same message as the hall of mirrors itself: I'm important, I'm powerful, and you are hardly worthy to stand in my prescence.

Finally, in one of the (relatively) less important rooms of Versailles, Murakami displays a bizarre shrine to modern consumerism:




The pepsi can, baby powder, ketchup, etc. are encrusted with diamonds, rubies, sapphires and other precious stones. I personally see a mutual critique of the artificiality of what we consider to be valuable today and a critique of what was seen as valuable when Versailles was built. Yes, the hall of mirrors was impressive, but it was paid for by the work of thousands of French peasants and ironically WEAKENED the very monarch it was supposed to support! Versailles strengthened the perception of royal power, but physically dimished the ECONOMIC power of the king and by the time of the revolution, infuriated the French people to the point at which they cut off the heads of the king and queen.

Of course, the exhibit is not easy to interpret; as a friend posted on my facebook wall, using big words that I don't fully understand:

" but, what exactly would be the (political? artistic? critical?) value of parodying the aesthetic superfluity of the ancien regime in 2010? Is Murakami's satire directed toward the French monarchy's ostentation, as you've suggested, or is this ostentation, "blatantly" juxtaposed as it is with the forms and signifiers of global capitalism (pepsi cans, anime depictions of busty western blondes), employed as a means of reflecting upon the excesses of the contemporary era? That is, does this exhibition ask us to consider - and perhaps, to critique - the eighteenth century, or the twenty-first? also, cool photos! - J.O."

As a final comment on Versailes, I must admit that the gardens have ALWAYS reminded me of the cartoon plants one might see in a child's book or at Disneyland. Frankly, Murakami's statues don't look any less natural than this:



I must now finish some homework before I go picnic on the Place des Invalides. It is COLD today, for the first time since we arrived. Also, the Frech metro workers are on strike, so the metro runs less frequently today and trains are packed. Just a part of life for Parisians!

Finally, I welcome comments on this post- whether you have been able to visit Versailles or not, the subject is fascinating and complicated and all opinions are valid.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, it's Skye. I or Josh or Josh and I will possibly write more later. But for now, the main thing that seemed sort of left out (to me at least) of what you said on facebook was that this is (as you say now) a "mutual critique". That Murakami isn't just directing his work at Versailles and Louis XIV a long time ago, but that the juxtaposition of the excesses, consumption, etc. evidenced by the two types of art next to each other is asking us to evaluate both time periods.

    Josh and I actually talked about this the other day. One thing that I found interesting, got talking about with him, I'll try to sketch out here:

    Murakami uses things like McDonald's and Pepsi to possibly point towards capitalism and/or consumption. When I see a symbol of capitalism/consumption, I tend to expect it to be a symbol of excess, as in greed, with maybe a moral judgment attached. It could be an excess on the level of the consumer or on the corporate level.

    Excess consumption: The products offered by McDonald's (Pepsi may or may not also fit this description) are basically cheap food sources being sold to middle/lower class people. It's not like, to use Josh's example, McDonald's is selling videogames. Videogames pretty obviously would be a good symbol for excess consumption. They could be used to point out that upper class people are spending their money on expensive entertainment rather than on other things. But maybe cheap food is not the best symbol for that kind of excess, for the values of excess consumption.

    So these statues are being placed in a palace. A palace that certainly was, as you've shown, a brimming symbol of excess consumption. It was also, as you said, "paid for by the work of thousands of French peasants" and was an (effective) "prison for French nobles". So the excess consumption, the lavish spending on art, was somehow behaving as a force of subjugation.

    Agh, I should probably go. Hurrying this up.
    The second possibility for excess that I mentioned, given that excess consumption maybe doesn't quite fit right, was that of corporate greed. Now, I don't know if that fits entirely either.

    What does fit, possibly, is subjugation of all those buying McDonald's or working minimum wage jobs for McDonald's.

    Possible further thought: French people overthrew this monarch, supposedly for better lives and more freedom of the masses. But now what do we have instead? What values and power structures ultimately replaced monarchy?

    Anyway, I liked everything you said. You very very nicely filled in details that I had forgotten about Versailles. And I think we are probably on the same page. Maybe we can write more to each other if we have time!

    And possibly Josh will have other thoughts to add here. That I am sure you can fully understand, as I think you can fully understand what he wrote on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello all,

    I've been following this conversation and wanted to jump in because 1) you guys are much smarter than me, and I wanted to try to be smart as well; and 2) I've been studying for midterms for 3 days straight and want to talk about something not involving linear regression curves and GDP. So here are my 2 cents:

    *disclaimer* I have very limited knowledge of the people, places, and things described in previous posts/comments, so if I say something inaccurate, feel free to jump all over it.

    I definitely agree with Melody on a lot of accounts, especially the comment about a mutual critique of the artificiality of what we consider valuable today (Pepsi cans laced with diamonds? that's going to drive up production costs astronomically... How glamorous though!). I also loved your insight on Murakami's twofold taunt of American consumerism and the ostentatious nature of Versailles. Spot on, I definitely wouldn't have caught that due to my lack of historical familiarity with Versailles.

    What I found to be very interesting is Skye's (Josh's?) question "but, what exactly would be the (political? artistic? critical?) value of parodying the aesthetic superfluity of the ancient regime in 2010?". And also, what values or power structures replaced the monarchy for the purpose of "bettering the lives of the masses"? It is hard to compare the construction of Versailles to consumerism because consumerism implies a transaction in which one good is exchanged for another, which clearly was not the case for Louis XIV (I'm assuming he increased taxes/stole from his people in order to finance his palace?). So I would analyze this from an overall behavioral perspective.

    I think Murakami first asks us to consider the *mechanism* that drives consumerism, which is essentially a human (not just time or regionally specific) inclination. That is, the quest for more, and the extent to which the quest for more turns from beneficial to detrimental. The reason I say it is not just an American or French inclination, but human inclination, is that you have a Japanese artist displaying American products in a French palace. And everybody is ostentatious, regardless of their point of origin (I call Murakami ostentatious not just because of his color choices, but also the form, magnitude, and price tag of his work; some of his pieces have been sold for over $15 million. This is one point where I may be completely wrong as I am unfamiliar with his style, he may just present his work in this manner as a form of satire). So 3 examples of ostentatiousness spanning hundreds of years and thousands of miles and infinitely more variations of culture and lifestyle.

    To bring some economics into the discussion, the quest for more is only good so long as the marginal cost does not surpass the marginal benefit. But what are those costs, and how are they measured? In the case of Versailles, what if Louis XIV had spent half as much on the palace? Or a third as much? Surely it would not be as beautiful and the nobles would be much less inclined to inhabit its walls, but the reduced cost of materials would have been siphoned into the well being of his subjects. Ironically, I'm sure Louis's justification was that controlling the nobles created an overall positive impact on his kingdom by creating peace. And as for consumerism, what if McDonald's spent less time trying to get people to buy their hamburgers, and more time developing a healthier product, one that doesn't contribute to a societal issue of obesity? Sure, their food is more affordable for everyone, but there is still a tipping point in which it becomes unhealthy and actually more costly to the consumer because of increased healthcare costs (at no extra cost to the company).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I reached the maximum number of characters and have to post this separately...

    All in all, my opinion is that the juxtaposition is not limited to that of French vs American or 18th vs 21st centuries, but the point in which healthy consumerism stands juxtaposed to unhealthy consumerism, and calls into question the individuals who (whether knowingly or unknowingly) decide to cross over that boundary. Also, I'm curious as to how this correlates to Murakami's lifestyle and values. I can see some parallels to eastern concepts of balance, such as the yin and yang, but again my fortes are math and econ, not cultures (I'm working on that). When I looked Murakami up on Wikipedia, it mentioned an otaku lifestyle and subculture, so I'm going to investigate that a little bit to discover some of his influences.

    I just wanted to say thank you to you guys, especially Melody, for instigating discussions like this. I don't really come from an upbringing of deep thought and reflection, so this is really cool to be able to see all these thoughts and ideas flying around. I'm definitely learning from everyone haha. And please correct me if I said anything wrong! Hope everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skye, loved what you said here: "Possible further thought: French people overthrew this monarch, supposedly for better lives and more freedom of the masses. But now what do we have instead? What values and power structures ultimately replaced monarchy?" <- this quote could arguably be the caption or title of the exhibit.

    After having carefully read both your responses several times, one thing stands out to me: Versailles was built pre-industrial revolution and pre-capitalism, and Murakami clearly features the products of industrialization and capitalism in his work. So for instance our modern concept of "consummerism" did not really exist in the time of Louis XIV (Jon I think you alluded to this point). What is Murakami trying to express by exhibiting art that deals with the (already vast and complex) subject of modern consumerism in an older palace?

    My one possible answer to this question relies again on knowledge of French history. Just before the revolution, the queen Marie Antoinette was despised and ridiculed by the French people for her excess of spending. Her lifestyle and the strict rules of courst REQUIRED her to throz lavish parties and dress well, but the French people mocked every purchase and slandered her horrifically in the press. This historical event happened one hundred years after the palace was built, but it is still associated with Versailles and was probably taken into account when Murakami put up the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete