Saturday, June 13, 2015

6am musings after a night dodging mosquitoes

I have noticed that when I travel, emotions are closer to the surface. So for example when I have trouble using a bank card, even though I have several backups that are functional, I panic and worry and am depressed all day until I solve the problem. Or when I watch the sunset, I find myself tearing up.

This is absurd because Los Angeles has spectacular sunsets that don't make me cry and I regularly face setbacks worse than a disfunctional debit card. I used to think there were certain places that affected me more strongly, namely, Paris. But now I'm beginning to think it's the effect of travel.

When we are at home, the majority of our energy and self goes to our jobs, school, personal relationships. So even when we pause to look at a pretty sunset, our focus is really elsewhere. I don't think this is bad; if anything it's probably necessary. Living life takes energy, thought, planning. There isn't much left over to examine the world closely.

But when one has saved up to travel, one has the luxury to let the world sink in. My fulltime job right now is to examine the world and the people living on it.

I also used to see travel as somewhat selfish, in that it meant I was enjoying myself instead if working hard at a job or education that would get me a job. But in fact when I am at home, when I am working or in school, I am occupied most the time with myself. My job, my money, my plans for the weekend, my boyfriend, my workout. When I travel, it's about the place. I am still the protagonist, but the "work" I do is to discover a place. How do I get to this part of Rio? What is the history of this city? What do people eat here? What is the economy like? How do I say "thank you"? 

Rio will be the same when I leave, but I will not be the same when I leave Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment