When I think about my favorite people on earth, a short list
comes to mind. On it is a French woman I knew for 4 days in Sao Paulo, an Irish
woman with whom I spent 2 days in Ilha Grande, some Canadian climbers who
helped me pass 2 days in Lima, an American with whom I passed one lovely evening
in Barcelona, an Australian journalist whom I accompanied to a nightclub that same night, an Iraqi war vet in the Bay area whom I circled round but never
got to know particularly well, and then the more traditional choices, my
sister, college and high school friends, former colleagues. But how can that
be? How was it that I connected with someone on such a deep level, for a period
of 2-5 days, knowing we would never see each other again? How can someone with whom
I spent 15 hours be on the same list as a best friend of 15 years?
Counterintuitively, I think the shortness of the time period
is a contributing factor. I sometimes find it hard to confide in a person who
lives in my hometown. If I show them my vulnerabilities, I then have to see
them around all the time and fear they might judge me for whatever secret I shared.
And so I say to myself, maybe it’s better to keep that particular story locked
up.
But when I travel, I can open up. I can tell a complete
stranger about my illnesses and my fears. I can openly say what I despise and
love about my country, I can say what I am ashamed of and proud of in being an American.
The reason I know it’s not just me is that I see this
expressed in traveler’s blog posts, Instagram shout-outs, Facebook statutes.
After we travel, we have no good way to thank our travel buddies. Why say “I
want to be your best friend” to someone you’ll never see again? Why say “I love
you”? It’s probably true, but what’s the point? There is no future there. We
only just met. And yet those are the people who changed me. They are the ones
who showed me a world other than the one into which I was born. Those people
that I talked to for 10 hours taught me more about myself and this world than
people I have known for 10 years.
As time passes, I remember the conversations we had in more
detail than the ones I have with people on a regular basis. I remember the
table setting, the flowers, the wine we drank, the way the waiter hit on us, I
remember what you told me about your ex-boyfriend, I remember details of your face
when I couldn’t remember a face I saw ten minutes ago in torts class, I
remember that you were fearless, having broken into a new industry in a foreign
country, I remember your mix of maturity and childishness, I remember your
yellow shoes. And I remember changing. I remember my attitudes, my beliefs, my
assumptions, my plans for the future, my priorities, my dreams, changing. I remember my
world expanding in the course of a dinner.
Of course I love my fellow travelers. How could I not? They changed
me. They changed my mind, my heart, my soul, even if we only spent a heartbeat
together.
No comments:
Post a Comment