Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Make New Friends?


When it's time to move on from one place in your life, what becomes most important to you?

For example, how did you spend your time during your last week of high school? Were you focused on schoolwork? Doubtful. Did you go out of your way to make a few last minute friends before graduation? Possibly. Or, like me, did you spend most of that week with your close friends, reminiscing about the years you'd spent together and planning reunion parties? It's funny how there are times in our lives when we are "supposed" to make new friends, like the beginning of a school year or the first month at a new job, and there are times when we are "supposed" to reinforce old relationships, like the last days of high school, the last few months of a career, or the last weeks in town before moving far away.

But does it have to be this way? Should I spend the last 2 months in California focusing on my old friends and on my family? Well, yes, but should I avoid situations in which I might make new friends? Is there any point in fostering a relationship that is doomed to end in a few short weeks?

I say, YES!! Some of the best memories I have were with people whose names I may or may not remember. Just because a friendship will end in a few weeks (or have to be put on hold while I'm away) doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort.

Just because I'm living liminally (totally just made that word up) doesn't mean I can't make new friends. In fact, meeting new people is one of the joys of being in a strange place! If I want to get the most out of this summer, I have to be open to meeting new people.

Wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment