Sunday, March 13, 2011

"Us"

Today I bought a styrofoam globe
and painted it blue with brown and green continents.
I bought pushpins and placed one where I am and one where you are.
I cut a bit of string to tie to the pushpins and pulled it taut between "you" and "me".

The rain falls like confetti from a pinata
and my fan spins in earnest circles because I do not know how to turn it off.
My indefatigable fan and the confetti are the only things in motion
when I am not writing.

Perhaps if I open the window,
I will find a wire stretching from my room into the distance
and I will tightrope across my city and my land and my continent
and our ocean
and over to your continent and your land and your village
and rap the knuckles of my right hand
on the panels of your wooden shutters,
asking to be let in.

No comments:

Post a Comment